“Fast Food Shutdown – #FFS410” Thursday 04 October: Actions across UK and the Globe
- Growing number of workers come out in support of hospitality strikes on 4 October
- More Unions announce decision to join the BFAWU, War on Want and Unite in campaigning for workers’ rights and ending poverty pay on 04 October
- Locations and timings of strikes and solidarity actions across the UK have been released
Fast food workers around the UK and across the globe are joining together to take action on Thursday 04 October following McDonald’s, TGI Fridays and Wetherspoons workers’ announcement of coordinated strike action.
The IWW Couriers Network has made a call out for food courier drivers to take action on 04 October in solidarity with McDonald’s, TGI Fridays and Wetherspoons workers going on strike:
Lauren McCourt, a Mcstriker and BFAWU gave a response on behalf of the McStrike:
Photo Credit: Robert Byford
- Workers from McDonald’s, Wetherspoons and TGI Fridays will strike on the same day on Thursday 4 October before coming together for a rally in Leicester Square.
- The workers will convene for a rally and photocall in Leicester Square at 11am.
- The strikers will be joined by a delegation of hospitality workers from four continents.
- JD Wetherspoons brings forward annual pay award from April 2019 to November 2018
- Workers at two Brighton pubs are balloting for strike action
- Union members have been sharing the impact of poverty wages with the media
- Local MP Caroline Lucas MP has offered her support.
Last night, in a sign JD Wetherspoons is worried about the impact workers going on strike will have on their business, they told staff they are bringing forward their annual pay rise. Workers at “The Bright Helm”, and “The Post & Telegraph” are being be balloted about striking for £10 an hour and union recognition. Workers have been sharing stories of poverty pay with the media, and won support from local politician Caroline Lucas MP.
Immediate Release: 30 August 2018
- The BFAWU to ballot Wetherspoons workers at two pubs in Brighton.
The BFAWU union today notified JD Wetherspoon that it is to ballot its members at two of its pubs in Brighton. BFAWU Members at “The Bright Helm”, and “The Post & Telegraph” will be balloted in a secret postal ballot. The Bakers’ Union members will be balloted on their willingness to strike for £10 an hour and union recognition.